Imágenes de páginas




of cowardice, he grappled with the French ship, and in a short time boarded her. By his gallant efforts and example the deck of the Infernal was soon cleared, and what remained of her proud officers and crew were his prisoners. He then towed the prize home; and for his gallantry was promoted to the rank of post-captain.

About the same time, Captain Rawlings chased the French privateer, Invincible, while cruising off the coast of Ireland, in the Unicorn, British frigate. Unfortunately, they had no sooner come to close action than the brave Rawlings received a mortal wound, and Lieutenant Clements took command. After a severe contest the enemy struck. Clements having overheard the discourse of two of his prisoners, learnt that another enemy's ship was at no great distance; and conveying his prize into Kinsale, he directly made all sail after the other, and captured her. She was a Bourdeaux privateer, of 18 guns, and 143 men. The gallant but unfortunate Rawlings was interred with great respect; the Lords of the Admiralty and other persons of distinction attended the funeral; and his brave surviving officer, Michael Clements, was promoted.

The action of one hour, on the 30th of May, 1757, saw the French East India ship, the Duc d'Aquitaine, of fifty long 18 pounders, with a crew of 463 men, captured by two small sloops-of-war, under the command of Captains Palliser and Proby. The French prize was one of the best built vessels in the enemy's navy; and after being refitted, was used on more than one occasion with destructive power against her former possessors.

The seizure and utter destruction of a great number of French privateers was a matter of no small interest about this time.

The reader will scarcely need to be told, that to enumerate the many daring feats, such as we have noticed, of Forrest and his mates, would require a very voluminous work. Still it is needful that we point out, at least, a portion of the many eminent captains who have at various times signally defeated the enemies of our land; for, worth of theirs deserves a place in our esteem, equally with that of more distinguished admirals.

It appears, that during the year 1757, every week brought intelligence of some action in the channel, where British cruisers kept a quick eye upon French privateers. Many were seized by our merchant vessels; forty-six were brought into harbour as safe prisoners by our war sloops; several were fairly met by British privateers, when hot and severe breast to breast work generally found the dismasted, shattered French craft a prisoner; but a Captain John Lockhart, who com




manded His Majesty's frigate, Tartar, of 28 guns, rendered himself particularly famous by his gallant deeds. Lockhart was much esteemed by his men; but it was to him, he said, a matter of the first importance to command fearless men." In the month of January he commenced his work for the year, by seizing the French ship, Mont Ozier, with twenty long 9 pounders, and 180 men. She made an endeavour to board the Tartar, but in a few moments, thirty-six of her crew were killed by Lockhart's "fearless men;" when brought in she had fifty-eight men on board, and a great quantity of ammunition. In the following month, Lockhart was compelled to remain on shore through sickness, but he ordered the Tartar out to sea, commanded by Baillie, his first lieutenant. He took, after a severe action, the French privateer, Victoire, 26 guns, and 230 men. This vessel was added to the British navy, and was named, Tartar's Prize; the command of her being given, with the title of commander and master, to Thomas Baillie. In March following, Lockhart again resumed his arduous labours on the ocean, and seized the French privateer, St. Maria, of 24 guns, and 275 men; brought his prize home, refitted, and "went to sea for more." Before April was ended he brought home the French privateer, D'Aguillon, of 26 guns, and 265 men; on board of which fifty were killed and wounded. In May, he captured the French ship, Penelope, 18 guns, and 190 men. In October, he seized the Gramont, 18 guns, and 155 men. This latter vessel was afterwards added to the British navy, without any change in her name. In November, he took the French ship, Melampee, (on her first cruize), mounting 36 guns, with a crew of 320 men! This rich prize measured 116 feet upon the keel, and 33 feet extreme breadth. She was also added to the British navy, and did long services under her French name. For his services this year, Captain Lockhart was presented with a piece of plate, value 200 guineas, by the London merchants. The corporation of Plymouth evinced their notice of his gallantry, by presenting him with the freedom of the town in a silver box: and the merchants of Bristol gave him a piece of plate, value 100 guineas. What say you, reader, to Captain Lockhart's services for one year in his country's cause? Fancy hears you exclaim, "Glorious Lockhart, he was a brave seaman !"

The year 1758 opens to us other scenes of bravery on the part of British captains. On the 1st of January, the English ship, Adventure, of 18 guns, Captain Bray, observed, as she was lying at anchor in Dungeness Roads, a large brig standing over to her, and the Adventure prepared for action. They approached so near, that during the fight, Bray and his mate passed



a hawser three times round the enemy's bowsprit, and secured it to the capstan; the two crews now fought with small arms until the enemy's deck was nearly cleared, and she struck. She proved to be the Machault, a French brig, mounting 14 long pounders, with a crew of 102 men; forty of whom fell in the action. Bray, for this gallantry, was made post-captain.

It was also in the early part of this year that_Captain Gardiner, of the Monmouth, chased the French ship, Fondroyant, up the Mediterranean, and for four hours maintained an unequal contest. This gallant English sailor, Arthur Gardiner, was flag-captain to Admiral Byng in the unfortunate expedition to Minorca, (as related in our foregoing pages), and from unpleasant matters on that occasion, relative to the ship in question, it is said that Gardiner vowed most solemnly his firm resolution of attacking the Fondroyant, "in whatever ship he might be, at all hazards, though he should perish by it." It was, unfortunately, his fate to be struck by a musketball in the forehead during the action; but he expired in the arms of victory. During the first hour of the engagement he was wounded in the arm; but such was his determined spirit that he still remained on deck, encouraging his men to the last moment of his existence! The command of the Monmouth now devolved upon Lieutenant Carket, and to him, shortly after the captain had closed his eyes in death, the French commodore, Quesne, presented his sword, and surrendered. The Fondroyant was brought to England, and ranked for many years afterwards among the finest ships of the British navy. She carried 42 and 24 pounders; the Monmouth only 24 and 12 pounders.

It was in the month of April, 1758, that the Prince George, of 90 guns, by a lamentable accident, took fire, during her voyage out to Gibraltar, under the command of Captain Peyton. She had on board troops for the rock, and a great quantity of ammunition. The painful circumstance was deeply felt by numerous inquiring friends and relatives, who crowded into Portsmouth from all parts of the kingdom. She sailed out with 745 persons on board, and only 260 escaped the

flaming wreck. She was commissioned by Rear-Admiral

Broderick, and bore his flag.

In November, the Belliquex, a French ship, of 64 guns, was taken by Captain Saumarez, of the English ship, Antelope, 50 guns. The capture was made off Lundy Island. The prize was stored with rich goods.

A smart action bearing date February the 21st, 1759, introduces the name of Captain Hood, of whom we shall speak more at length hereafter. It appears that Rear-Admiral Holmes was on his voyage out to North America with a small fleet

of the line, one vessel of his complement being the Vestal, of 32 guns, commanded by Hood, when a strange sail was discovered, and instantly chased by the Vestal. In a comparatively short space of time Captain Hood was alongside the enemy, and after keeping up a well-directed running battle for four hours, he captured her. Hoods prize was the Bellona, a French frigate, commanded by Count Beauhonnier. She carried 32 guns; and after she was added to the British navy bore the name of Repulse.

About this time a naval hero was much famed for deeds of uncommon daring in the North Seas-this was James Gilchrist, captain of the Southampton, of 32 guns. He took the French ship, Danae, 40 guns, under circumstances where unequal numbers and inferior strength were nobly met by personal bravery and nautical skill. In this conflict he was disabled from further service, by a pound shot entering his shoulder; and the government settled upon him a life pension of £300 a year. The prize he captured on this occasion was added to the British navy as a 38-gun frigate, and for some years did ample service on the main.

And now, after our brief sketch of the naval doings of celebrated captains, the lives of the admirals who flourished about the same period claims attention. Not last nor least of these was Sir George Admiral Pocock, K.B.

He was born on the 6th of March, 1706, and was the son of the Rev. Thomas Pocock, one of the chaplains of Greenwich Hospital. He was nephew to Sir George Byng; and at the age of twelve, he entered the navy under the watchful eye of his uncle. He went out with Sir George (afterwards Viscount Torrington) in the expedition of 1718, up the Mediterranean. In 1732, he was appointed first lieutenant of the Namur; and in August, 1738, was advanced to the rank of postcaptain, and sailed out as commander of the Aldborough, to the Mediterranean squadron, where he remained till war was formally declared against Spain; and in 1741, he returned home with several rich captures. In 1742, he was appointed to the Woolwich, as a North Sea cruiser; but in 1744, he commanded the Sutherland, and went to the East Indies with the charge of a fleet. In 1747, he was commander-in-chief on the Barbadoes station, where he seized forty of the enemy's vessels.

On the 4th of June, 1755, he was created Rear-Admiral of the White and in 1757, assisted at the retaking of Calcutta out of the hands of Surajah Dowlah; and was fully engaged at the Siege of Chandesnagore, the principal settlement of the French in Bengal. His subsequent career was also marked by signal victories and memorable feats at Havannah; in fact,

such was the state of things brought about in the West Indies by Admiral Pocock, that the courts of France and Spain were completely cowed into obeisance when they heard his name; and eventually relinquished their power in the West Indies into his hands. Peace was concluded at Paris in the month of February, 1763, and Pocock returned to England. After living in retirement for some years, he died at his house in Curzon Street, Mayfair, London, on the 3rd of April, 1792, at the advanced age of eighty-seven years.

He was interred at Twickenham, in the family vault, near the remains of his lady; by whom he left one son, George Pocock, Esq., and one daughter, who was married to Earl Powlet.

Admiral Pocock was admired and revered even by his enemies; he was esteemed by his officers; and adored by the seamen under his command.

A great man in his day, and a contemporary of Admiral Pocock, was that naval commander, Sir Charles Saunders, K.B. He commenced his career under the celebrated Anson; and for the list of his early services the reader must turn back to our biographical notice of the celebrated voyager. In May, 1745, he was appointed to the command of the Sandwich, 90 guns; and in the following year (in company with the Lark, Captain Cheap) he captured a Spanish American ship, valued at £100,000!

It was immediately after the indecisive action of Byng at Minorca, that the government created several flag officers; and in 1759, as Vice-Admiral of the Blue, Saunders held chief command of the naval armament destined to assist in the reduction of Quebec.

He sailed from Spithead on the 17th of February, 1759, having with him as his colleague in war, the gallant Wolfe, commander of the land forces. On the 6th of June, he stood in for the river St. Lawrence; the difficulty of navigating which, delayed the expedition; but on the 26th they reached the Island of Orleans, the place of disembarkation.

It is at this period we become acquainted with a young man sent out by Saunders to assist in making surveys of the neighbouring rivers; and so cleverly was this executed, that we trace from that time the upward march of genius in the life of him, better known to the reader as Captain Cook.

After the reduction of Quebec, Admiral Saunders, leaving a squadron of protection under the command of Lord Colville, sailed for England, where he was received graciously by the king, and a vote of thanks given him in both houses. In 1766 he was raised to the dignity of First Lord of the Admiralty, and appointed Privy Councillor. For some years he repre

« AnteriorContinuar »