Imágenes de páginas

ceeded to a large field known as "Dow's Farm," about one-third of a mile from the centre of the village, and immediately partook of rations, with which it was supplied in haversack and canteen. At 1.45 P.M. the regiment was brought to attention. The overcoats which were worn in a yoke-roll were removed. A sentinel was placed over those belonging to each company. Blank cartridges, of which the regiment was supplied with nineteen thousand, were distributed, and a detail of eight men from each company, together with First Lieutenant Small of Company M, First Lieutenant McDonald of Company H, and Second Lieutenant Sykes of Company I, together with the paymaster, was directed to report to Lieutenant Colonel Frost, whose instructions were to manœuvre them as "an outlined enemy," it being the intention to drill the extended order drill during the afternoon. The field selected for the purpose was well adapted to the drill, the surface being undulating with high ground and a grove of trees extending partially across the centre of the field, part of which comprised ploughed ground, and contained trees, hillocks and marshy ground, through which a small ditch passed.

The first manœuvre attempted was the advance of the regiment upon the "outlined enemy," the first and second battalions forming the firing line, two companies in each constituting the battalion reserves, and the third battalion acting as the regimental reserve. Lieutenant Small, under direction of Lieutenant Colonel Frost, skilfully disposed the defence, and the opposing forces were manœuvred for half an hour, the men having apparently been instructed with much care in the drill. They were kept well in hand by their respective officers, and heeded the order of the regimental commander, conveyed by the bugle, with much promptness and intelligence. The line was made to advance, to withdraw, to lie down, and to fire both volleys and at will, being reinforced, and finally advanced with fixed bayonets after "rapid fire." No accident occurred, as the men were so well in hand that the advance was stopped when the opposing parties approached to within a short distance of each other. After the balance of the ammunition was distributed, the same manoeuvres were repeated, with the third battalion in the firing line and the second battalion in reserve. After the completion of the second manœuvre the whole regiment was brought to the firing line, with the exception of a small reserve. At the conclusion of the second manœuvre the regiment was assembled and expended a portion of the remaining ammunition in firing at will in line, ceasing in season to enable the First Corps Cadets, M. V. M., who came on the field to perform the ceremony of evening parade.

At the conclusion of the drill, the regiment partook of a lunch furnished by the city of Woburn. In addition to the lunch, the city of Woburn contributed ten thousand rounds of blank cartridges for the use of the regiment. For this and for other kind treatment shown to the regiment by the people of Woburn it desires to express its acknowledgment.

The regiment reached the railroad station at 4.45, in good season to leave upon a special train engaged to start at 5.10; but the railroad was unable to keep its agreement, and although the local agent of the road allowed three companies (I, M and F) to take the regular train, in order to enable them to make railroad connections in Boston so as to reach home, the special train conveying the rest of the regiment did not leave the station until nearly 6 o'clock. With this exception, the arrangements were carried out without a hitch.

The regiment's behavior, I am pleased to record, was the best I have ever witnessed in the corresponding tours of duty. The men were quiet and orderly. There was no singing or shouting or smoking in the ranks when standing at "rest." The discipline was good, and the men seemed to perform the duty required of them to the best of their ability.

Col. F. G. King, A. I. G., accompanied the regiment during the greater part of the day, and, I am glad to acknowledge, made several valuable suggestions during and in relation to the tour of duty.

I have the honor to be sir, very respectfully,
Your obedient servant,





HOLYOKE, MASS., Oct. 7, 1892.

Maj. Gen. SAMUEL Dalton, Adjutant General.

SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the annual drill of this command at Red House crossing on the Boston & Albany Railroad, about five miles from the city of Springfield, on the 4th instant.

In compliance with orders, the regiment assembled in Springfield at 9.15 A.M., and proceeded by special train to the point above named at 9.20 A.M.

Feeling that the command would be benefited far more by devoting all of the time at our disposal to work in the extended order than in any other way, I secured a field of sufficient area,

located alongside the railroad, and spent the entire time in that important and interesting work.

During the first hour on the field schools were held by each battalion commander, and the officers and non-commissioned officers were questioned and instructed in the work of the squad, the section, the platoon, the company and the battalion. Squad work was then exemplified in each battalion, and this was followed by company work, which was supervised by field officers.

After lunch, ammunition was distributed to the companies, and each battalion was in turn formed for attack, the other two battalions observing the work. The battalion commanders sent out scouts, after giving them specific instructions, and gave the necessary preliminary instructions before giving the command, "Form for attack." After the extension was completed the advance began, the battalion regulating its march on the base squad. The work of each battalion represented an advance from the point where artillery fire compels the battle formation, up to the assault on the enemy's position, according to the principles embodied in the new drill regulations.

Special efforts were made to impress upon officers and men that the line should always halt and load, either kneeling or lying down, at the command for firing; that the line should usually rush forward on receiving reinforcements from the supports; and the importance of always observing the most rigid fire discipline.

Particular instructions had been given to fire volleys during the advance until favorable ground had been reached from which to make the assault, when rapid fire would begin; but when firing began it was found that officers and non-commissioned officers invariably gave orders to "fire at will," and this was corrected only after repeated instructions had been given to fire volleys.

This apparent aversion to volley firing which was observed in each battalion is probably caused by the fact that the command "fire at will" is more easily remembered than the command for volley firing, in which the objective, range and number of volleys must be indicated in the preparatory command; and shows the necessity for careful and constant practice in giving commands for volley firing on the part of officers and non-commissioned officers.

In conclusion, I would record the universal feeling throughout the command that this tour of duty was unusually profitable and agreeable.

I am, very respectfully,

Your obedient servant,


Colonel Commanding.


MARLBOROUGH, Oct. 15, 1892.

Maj. Gen. SAMUEL DALTON, Adjutant General of Massachusetts.

GENERAL:- In accordance with General Orders No. 14, A. G. O., I have the honor to submit the following report of the annual drill of this command at Wakefield, on Oct. 5, 1892.

In compliance with General Orders No. 6, headquarters of the regiment, the commanders of companies B, D, F, I and L, with their companies in heavy marching order, with dress coats and black helmets in knapsacks, reported to the adjutant at the Boston & Maine station, Causeway Street, Boston, at 9 A.M. Company K of Southbridge, which was to have reported at the same time and place, was unavoidably detained by the lateness of a train on the New York & New England Railroad.

The 9.10 A.M. train was taken for Farm Hill station, Stoneham. Arriving in Stoneham at 10 A.M., on account of the heavy rain falling at the time the companies were marched to the armory of Company H, arms stacked, and the men dismissed. A guard, under Capt. Thomas E. Jackson, Company F, officer of the day, was placed over the doors, and enlisted men were not permitted to leave the building except for the purpose of purchasing rubbers, and then only in squads, accompanied by a commissioned officer. The command, during the hour and a half it occupied this armory, maintained the best of order. The opportunity was taken advantage of to eat the rations brought in haversacks, and the regimental band gave a concert.

In the mean time, companies A, C, G and H, forming the second battalion, under command of Maj. George H. Taylor, with Lieut. H. E. Whitney, inspector of rifle practice, Lieut. Omer P. Porter, assistant surgeon, and the regimental drum corps, had reported to Lieut. Col. Charles F. Woodward at Wakefield, for the purpose of constituting the forces which were to resist the attack upon that town. Immediately upon my arrival at Stoneham I dispatched orders to Lieutenant Colonel Woodward to conduct the troops under his command to some place where they could find shelter from the rain, and there to await further orders before taking the field. At 11.30, the storm having nearly abated, word was sent to the lieutenant colonel that the attack would be made. Companies F, L and M, constituting the first battalion, and companies B, D and I, the second battalion, were placed under the command of Captains Williams and Cutter respectively, acting majors, and, with the baggage wagons in the rear, under a strong

guard, the column moved toward Wakefield, two miles distant. On arriving in sight of the town, Company F was deployed forward as advance guard and flankers: and when about one mile distant from Wakefield, the enemy having been located upon this hill, the column was halted, and squads from the several companies deployed to the right and left in extended order. Company M, under command of Captain Berrill, was ordered to advance, under cover of woods and other shelter, for the purpose of turning the enemy's left flank.

The skirmishers soon came in contact with those of the opposing forces, and rapid skirmish firing commenced. Having reconnoitered the enemy's position, the remaining companies were formed in line of battle, and moved forward in support of the skirmishers. At this point Major Chaffin, with Company K of Southbridge, arrived on the field, and the Major took command of his battalion, relieving Captain Williams.

The position of the enemy having been fully ascertained, the right wing was thrown forward to support the flanking company, and a general advance of the whole line ordered. The enemy occupied a formidable position, covering the approaches to the hill, and made a vigorous resistance. While the left of our line pushed forward, the flanking company, supported by the right wing, fell upon the enemy's left and rear. A flag of truce was displayed, and the engagement terminated. Captain Jackson, in command of the baggage train, succeeded in capturing the enemy's wagon train and reserve ammunition.

Line was immediately formed, the route of march taken through West Chester, Railroad and Water streets to Main Street, where the second battalion, under Major Taylor, gave an exhibition of street firing. The third battalion supported him, and held the approaches to Main Street. All the ammunition having been expended, the regiment was dismissed at 2 P.M., for dinner, which was provided in the armory of Company A, and a school-house, by the citizens of Wakefield. The field and staff and other invited guests were handsomely entertained by Mr. Fred B. Carpenter at his residence, Lakeside.

The regiment was re-formed at 3 P.M., in full dress uniform, and marched through the principal streets of the town, and was reviewed in front of the town hall by the selectmen, other officials and prominent citizens. Dress parade had to be omitted, on account of the delay caused by the morning rain.

The regiment was massed in the square near the railroad station, and mustered for pay. The troops left Wakefield shortly after

5 P.M.

« AnteriorContinuar »